The Elbert County Sheriff's Office Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) Team was started in the Spring of 2001. The team's goal is to provide a highly trained group of Deputies to respond to high risk situations throughout Elbert County. The Sheriff recognized the need for a specially trained team to handle high-risk situations beyond the scope of everyday law enforcement.
The mission of the Elbert County Sheriff's Office SWAT Team is to support the Elbert County Sheriff's Office and any other requesting law enforcement agency with a tactical response to critical incidents. When a critical incident occurs, the Elbert County Sheriff's Office SWAT Team will be activated. Critical incidents consist of, but are not limited to, the following:
Situations : The holding of any person(s)
against their will by an armed suspect(s) or a suspect(s) who is
believed to be armed.
• Barricade Situations : The stand-off created by an armed or potentially armed suspect in any location, whether fortified or not, who is refusing to comply with law enforcement orders.
• Sniper Situations : The firing upon citizens and/or police by an armed suspect, whether stationary or mobile.
• High-Risk Apprehension : The arrest or apprehension of armed or potentially armed suspect(s) where the likelihood of armed resistance is high.
• High-Risk Warrant Service : The service of search or arrest warrants where the likelihood of resistance, weapons, or dangerous persons exist.
• Special Assignments : Any assignment approved by the Sheriff based upon a high degree of potential threat.