Jail FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions
How can I find out if someone is in the Elbert County Jail?

Our Current jail roster is available at this link or by calling our main information line at 303-621-2027. Be prepared to provide the inmate’s full name and date of birth.

How may I send mail to an Inmate?

To send mail to an Inmate at the Elbert County Jail, please address the envelope this way:

Elbert County Jail
Inmate (Inmate’s full name)
P.O. Box 486
Kiowa, CO 80117

Note: All incoming mail is opened and inspected for any contraband and incoming funds.

Visit our Inmate Mail & Telephone page for more information.

How may I visit an Inmate?

The Detention Facility is located at 751 Ute Avenue in Kiowa. Visiting hours are 06:00 AM to 10:00 PM daily. Inmates are allowed up to 30 minutes of visitation time per day. Go to our Inmate Visits page for more information. A Turnkey Corrections kiosk is available for the public’s use in the jail’s lobby for visitation. The Inmate will remain in the pod during the visit.  The public does not need to come to the jail for visitation.  The public is able to conduct the visitation from the comfort of their own home or other location, by signing creating an account at www.inmatecanteen.com .  Please check their website for more information.

How can I get money to an Inmate?

When an Inmate is processed into the jail, all currency is taken from her/him and forwarded to her/him personal account for his use during incarceration.  It is deposited onto his/her inmatecanteen.com account.

Family and friends may deposit money into an Inmate’s account by two ways. The easiest way is to deposit funds via the Inmate Canteen website, or you can go directly to the Elbert County Sheriff’s Office and deposit funds directly into the Inmate Canteen kiosk. The following forms of funds will be accepted:

  • Cash
  • Credit card

No personal checks or money orders will be accepted.

No money or property may be exchanged between Inmates.

May I call an Inmate?
Incoming calls are not accepted through the sheriff’s office telephone system.  Calls can be scheduled and made through the Inmate Canteen telephone or video kiosk system, which are in each of the jail Inmate pods.

How do I find out about an Inmate’s sentencing or upcoming court procedures?

Please call our main information line at 303-621-2027. Be prepared to provide the Inmate’s full name and date of birth.

How do I pay bail for an Inmate?
Please visit our Bond Information page for more information.