A V.I.N. verification is required when:
- A vehicle is brought into Colorado and is titled and/or registered out of state/country.
- A purchased vehicle is brought into Colorado and the title was issued from another state/country.
- A vehicle is transferred on a Purged Bill of Sale.
- A correction is required on the title pertaining to the vehicle description.
Citizens should contact the Colorado State Patrol or find a local dealership that do inspections. The Elbert County Sheriff’s Office no longer handles VIN inspections.
A Certified V.I.N. verification is required when:
- A vehicle requiring a surety bond to establish ownership.
- Vehicles that are homemade, rebuilt and/or reconstructed. Vehicles built from kits.
- Vehicles where V.I.N. has been removed/changed/altered/obliterated and must obtain a Colorado assigned I.D. number.
- Trailers over 2000# requiring an assigned trailer I.D.
- Salvage vehicles being made roadworthy.
- Private/public tow bills